Randall Stewart Papers
- 1932 - 1967
- Stewart, Randall (Person)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
Randall Stewart Chronology
- Born in Fayetteville, Tennessee, July 25
- His family moved to Nashville where he grew up and was educated
- Was graduated from Vanderbilt University as Founder’s Medalist
- Instructor of English at the University of Oklahoma
- Served briefly in the armed forces
- Married Cleone Odell in Oklahoma City
- Awarded master of arts degree by Harvard University
- Instructor, U. S. Naval Academy
- Assistant Professor, University of Idaho
- Instructor, Yale University
- Awarded doctor of philosophy degree by Yale
- Assistant Professor, Yale
- Associate Editor, New England Quarterly
- Professor, Vanderbilt
- Professor, Brown University
- Guggenheim Fellow
- Visiting Professor, Yale University
- Chairman, Department of English, Brown
- Visiting Professor, Connecticut College
- Chairman, American Literature Group, Modern Language Association
- Professor of English and Chairman, Department of English, Vanderbilt University
- Fugitive Reunion
- Mrs. Harold S. Vanderbilt Literary Symposium established
- Professor, Vanderbilt
- Died June 17
1.26 Linear Feet
List of Topics in Stewart Collection:
Arrangements of Fugitive Reunion, Correspondence. Covers period from Oct. 21, 1955 to April 26, 1956. Undated.
Fugitive Reunion Arrangements - Miscellaneous. Consisting of calendar of events, newspaper clippings, list of guests, holograph notes of Merrill Moore's suggestions, Vanderbilt Calendar.
Fugitive Finances - Consisting of vouchers, financial statements, and letters regarding the handling of finances for the Fugitive Reunion. Letters from March, 1956-May, 1957. Undated.
Fugitive Conference: Results - Correspondence dealing with conference. 1955-1957.
Fugitive Conference: Results - Clippings. April 28, 1956- May 4, 1956.
Calendar and Guest List.
Publishing Fugitive Conference (and matters related to Fugitives, Pictures, and Books) Correspondence.
Fugitive Reunion Photographs - Taken by Merrill Moore. Fugitive Conference - Clippings. Arranged chronologically. Undated.
Stewart Correspondence Relating to Non-Fugitive Matters. April, 1956-April, 1957.
Correspondence with Richmond C. Beatty. Feb., 1957.
Syndication of Beatty's literary column in the Nashville Tennessean. Correspondence - 1956-1958.
Book reviews written by Beatty.
Allen Tate Proposal - Correspondence concerns proposal to Fugitive Memorial Professorship. July-Oct., 1959.
Miscellaneous Correspondence. March 2, 1932-Dec. 4, 1967.
Class Roll Books- Five for years 1947, 1955, 1956, 1958.
Articles About Stewart.
Pamphlets belonging to Stewart.
Photograph of Davidson effigy.
- Finding Aid for the Randall Stewart Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Vanderbilt University Special Collections Repository
Jean and Alexander Heard Library
419 21st Avenue South
Nashville TN 37203 United States