Randall Stewart Papers
- 1932 - 1967
- Stewart, Randall (Person)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
Randall Stewart Chronology
- Born in Fayetteville, Tennessee, July 25
- His family moved to Nashville where he grew up and was educated
- Was graduated from Vanderbilt University as Founder’s Medalist
- Instructor of English at the University of Oklahoma
- Served briefly in the armed forces
- Married Cleone Odell in Oklahoma City
- Awarded master of arts degree by Harvard University
- Instructor, U. S. Naval Academy
- Assistant Professor, University of Idaho
- Instructor, Yale University
- Awarded doctor of philosophy degree by Yale
- Assistant Professor, Yale
- Associate Editor, New England Quarterly
- Professor, Vanderbilt
- Professor, Brown University
- Guggenheim Fellow
- Visiting Professor, Yale University
- Chairman, Department of English, Brown
- Visiting Professor, Connecticut College
- Chairman, American Literature Group, Modern Language Association
- Professor of English and Chairman, Department of English, Vanderbilt University
- Fugitive Reunion
- Mrs. Harold S. Vanderbilt Literary Symposium established
- Professor, Vanderbilt
- Died June 17
1.26 Linear Feet
Special Collections & Archives
The following describes Randall Stewart's papers as they were arranged by topic in Dr. Stewart's files. Letters, both incoming and outgoing, were stapled together by subject. Arrangement was roughly chronological.
List of Topics in Stewart Collection:
Arrangements of Fugitive Reunion, Correspondence. Covers period from Oct. 21, 1955 to April 26, 1956. Undated.
Fugitive Reunion Arrangements - Miscellaneous. Consisting of calendar of events, newspaper clippings, list of guests, holograph notes of Merrill Moore's suggestions, Vanderbilt Calendar.
Fugitive Finances - Consisting of vouchers, financial statements, and letters regarding the handling of finances for the Fugitive Reunion. Letters from March, 1956-May, 1957. Undated.
Fugitive Conference: Results - Correspondence dealing with conference. 1955-1957.
Fugitive Conference: Results - Clippings. April 28, 1956- May 4, 1956.
Calendar and Guest List.
Publishing Fugitive Conference (and matters related to Fugitives, Pictures, and Books) Correspondence.
Fugitive Reunion Photographs - Taken by Merrill Moore. Fugitive Conference - Clippings. Arranged chronologically. Undated.
Stewart Correspondence Relating to Non-Fugitive Matters. April, 1956-April, 1957.
Correspondence with Richmond C. Beatty. Feb., 1957.
Syndication of Beatty's literary column in the Nashville Tennessean. Correspondence - 1956-1958.
Book reviews written by Beatty.
Allen Tate Proposal - Correspondence concerns proposal to Fugitive Memorial Professorship. July-Oct., 1959.
Miscellaneous Correspondence. March 2, 1932-Dec. 4, 1967.
Class Roll Books- Five for years 1947, 1955, 1956, 1958.
Articles About Stewart.
Pamphlets belonging to Stewart.
Photograph of Davidson effigy.
- Finding Aid for the Randall Stewart Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Vanderbilt University Special Collections Repository
Jean and Alexander Heard Library
419 21st Avenue South
Nashville TN 37203 United States