Harold Stirling Vanderbilt Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection covers only certain aspects of Harold Vanderbilt's life. It contains little personal correspondence and almost no material on his business affairs, such as his long-term interest in the New York Central Railroad.
Several hundred photographs contained in the collection will be processed and maintained in the Vanderbilt University Photographic Archive. This collection includes photographs from Vanderbilt's childhood, cruises, races; of his family, friends, residences, yachts, and airplanes. Over one third of the photographs are of Gertrude Conaway, her childhood and family. It is a fine depiction of turn-of-the-century costume and customs of the wealthy.
- circa 1910-1978
Language of Materials
- 1884 - July 6, Harold S. Vanderbilt born to William Kissam Vanderbilt and Alva Erskine Smith (later Mrs. O.H.P. Belmont) at Oakdale, N.Y.
- 1901 Gertrude Lewis Pancoast Conaway born
- 1903 Vanderbilt graduated from St. Mark's School, Southborough, Massachusetts. First race, on the RELIANCE.
- 1907 Graduated from Harvard University.
- 1910 Cruise on the VAGRANT. Won the Bermuda Race. West Indies Cruise. 1917 - Patrolled waters from London to Nantucket for the U.S. Navy.
- 1921 Won the Astor Cup.
- 1922 Won the Astor Cup; King's Cup.
- 1925 Invented'contract bridge. King's Cup.
- 1928 Vanderbilt Cup established.
- 1930 Successfully defended the America's Cup against Britain's Sir Thomas Lupton, ENTERPRISE vs. SHAMROCK V
- 1932 King's Cup. Vanderbilt Cup.
- 1933 Vanderbilt married Gertrude Conaway in New York.
- 1934 Defended the America's Cup against Britain's T.O.M. Sopwith, RAINBOW vs. ENDEAVOR
- 1935 Astor Cup. 1937 - America's Cup, RANGER vs. ENDEAVOR II. 1942 - Started farming in Virginia.
- 1950 Elected to the Board of Trust, Vanderbilt University.
- 1955 Became President of the Board of Trust. 1967 - Financed the America's Cup defender INTREPID. Retired as President of the Board of Trust.
- 1970 July 4, Vanderbilt died
- 1978 August 6, Gertrude Vanderbilt died.
- August 6, Gertrude Vanderbilt died.
18.36 Linear Feet
- Finding Aid for the Harold Stirling Vanderbilt Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Vanderbilt University Special Collections Repository
Jean and Alexander Heard Library
419 21st Avenue South
Nashville TN 37203 United States