Showing Collections: 1 - 19 of 19
This collection consists of 11 bound volumes of notes taken during law classes at Vanderbilt University from 1946-1947 by J. Louis Adams. The volumes are labeled by class.
This collection contains the papers of former Governor of Tennessee, Secretary of Education, and U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander. Currently, only the material predating Alexander's tenure as Senator (pre-2002) is processed for research use. Processing of the Senatorial Papers is expected to be completed in Fall 2023. Please contact Special Collections with access inquiries related to Senate materials.
This .42 linear feet collection contains 51 items (of which 20 are photographs) relating to the lives of the Baxter and Jackson families, Nashville, and Vanderbilt University.
This .21 linear feet collection contains three law docket books that list his clients, the types of legal matters he handled for them, and the costs for services.
This collection is composed of one Hollinger box with seven folders. Within the collection is a biography of Dudney, her Kappa Delta initiation certificate, her notes from law school, her license to practice law in Florida, correspondence from both her and her family, and an article by Opal S. Dudney.
This collection contains a letter from Pantaleon Gutierrez y Diaz de Quijano, the Mayor of Bogota from 1796-1797, to the Mayor of the town of Choconta regarding judicial action in a criminal case against Manuel Mariño. The letter is dated 1796 May 12.
This collection contains 4 folders of material related to Hubert T. Holman's time as a law school student at Vanderbilt in the 1920s. While there, Holman participated in the debate team as documented in numerous newspaper clippings.
This collection contains four handwritten legal trial transcripts, arranged in four file folders, signed by Andrew Jackson who was the Judge of the Superior Court. A typescript of each letter is included in the folders.
This collection contains one receipt, housed in one file folder, for tuition in the Law School at Vanderbilt University in 1882.
This collection contains 6 items: an address, three drawings, and two handwritten manuscripts.
The William Turner Lawsuit Collection is a small collection comprised of original, handwritten legal documents from an 1848-1852 dispute over the sale of a fourteen-year old enslaved girl, Phebe. 17 folders contain original letters; the other 10 are transcriptions created in 2017.
- Subject: Law X
- Law 17
- United States--Politics and government 6
- politics 4
- Business 3
- Nashville (Tenn.)--History 3
- Southern States--History 3
- Tennessee--History 3
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 3
- Southern States--Culture 2
- Vanderbilt University--Faculty 2
- Vanderbilt University--History 2
- Vanderbilt University. Law School 2
- antebellum 2
- Art 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Political and social views 1
- Authors, American -- Southern States -- Biography -- Sources 1
- College presidents 1
- Colombia 1
- Colombia--Politics and government 1
- Courts-martial and courts of inquiry 1
- Cundinamarca (Colombia : Province) 1
- Economics 1
- Education 1
- Educational law and legislation--Tennessee 1
- Elections 1
- Elections--Southern States 1
- Elections--United States 1
- Governors -- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century 1
- Governors' spouses 1
- Governors--United States--Election 1
- Latin America 1
- Lawsuits 1
- Political campaigns--Law and legislation 1
- Political campaigns--United States--Case studies 1
- Political campaigns--United States--History 1
- Political parties--Southern States 1
- Presidents--United States 1
- Presidents--United States--Election--1996 1
- Presidents--United States--Election--2000 1
- Slavery 1
- Southern States--Politics and government 1
- Southern States--Politics and government--1951- 1
- Supreme Court justices--Tennessee 1
- Tennessee--Genealogy 1
- Tennessee--Politics and government 1
- Trials (Military offenses) 1
- United States--History 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States. Congress--Elections 1
- United States. Department of Education. Office of the Secretary 1
- University of Tennessee (Knoxville campus) 1
- family papers 1 ∧ less
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.