Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 105
This collection contains the papers of former Governor of Tennessee, Secretary of Education, and U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander. Currently, only the material predating Alexander's tenure as Senator (pre-2002) is processed for research use. Please contact Special Collections with access inquiries related to Senate materials.
The Jack Allen Collection is an accumulation of Allen’s productive life as an educator at George Peabody College for Teachers in Nashville, Tennessee. The collection comprises five linear feet relating to Jack Allen’s career and writings.
Two obituary clippings.
Biographical file on Dr. Bass, including reprints, newspaper clippings, obituaries, transcripts, press releases, photographs, and other biographical material.
Biographical file on Dr. Bate, including newspaper clippings, certificates, receipts, correspondence, class tickets and notes from the University of Nashville.
Personal papers of long-time Vanderbilt Department of Medicine faculty member Frederic Tremaine "Josh" Billings. Materials include: correspondence; reports and dissertation; tapes; committee and administrative work; and material relating to the Center for Health Services; Student Health Coalition; the Vanderbilt medical library; and geriatrics.
Biographical file includes curriculum vitae.
This collection is composed of one 1/2 Hollinger box containing six folders. Within the collection is Black-Foxe's yearbook, The Adjutant, from 1936 and 1937, the school's newspaper, Kaydet, volumes 15, 16, and 18, and a brochure detailing the school. Additionally, there are some promotional items relating to Vanderbilt University.
File includes two photographs and a news clipping of biographical information.
File contains biographical information.
File includes photographs, curriculum vitae, programs, and other biographical information.
Biographical file includes many photographs and reprints, academic articles and sketches profiling Dr. Burch, several news clippings, an obituary, correspondence, and a summary of the contents of Dr. Burch's diaries, 1921-1959.
The papers of O.C. Carmichael, 3rd Chancellor of Vanderbilt, are comprised of correspondence, his writings including addresses, articles, book manuscripts and institutional reports, and other materials relating to Oliver Carmichael’s long and distinguished career in teaching, university administration, and educational consulting.
Biographical file includes photographs, articles, speeches, talks re: American presidents and other world leaders, pamphlets for special lectures, curriculum vitae, newspaper clippings, invitations, and many formal and informal photographs of Dr. Chapman.
This collection contains the papers of Brainard Bartwell Cheney and Frances Neel Cheney. Major topics of interest include multiple versions of Brainard Cheney’s novels, the Pine Barrens and Rivers of Southeastern Georgia, materials relating to the Cheney’s friendships with many of the Fugitive/Agrarian writers, Brainard Cheney’s interest in Catholicism, Tennessee Politics in the late 1940’s and 1950’s, race relations and civil rights, Library Science and reference services.
Personal papers of Amos Christie, pediatrician, child health advocate, professor, and administrator at Vanderbilt University Medical School. Dr. Christie is best known for his research in histoplasmosis, known as the "Vanderbilt disease." Materials include: correspondence; biographical material; manuscripts and speeches; reprints; and personal and professional subject files.
Personal papers of Luther P. Christman, nurse, sociologist, educator, and Dean of Vanderbilt Nursing School from 1967-1972. Materials include photographs, correspondence, and other papers.
Biographical file includes photographs, negatives, two tribute/awards programs on compact disc, programs, curriculum vitae, numerous news clippings, notes, speeches, receipts, and several academic articles and book reviews authored by Dr. Collins.
- Subject: Education X
- Vanderbilt University Special Collections 63
- VUMC Historical Images and Biographies 31
- Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection 11
- Education 57
- Medical Education 40
- Vanderbilt University. Medical Center (VUMC) -- History 25
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 23
- George Peabody College for Teachers 20
- Literature 7
- Tennessee History 7
- Vanderbilt University--Faculty 7
- Vanderbilt University--History 7
- Medicine 6
- George Peabody College for Teachers--Faculty 5
- Tennessee--History 5
- United States--Politics and government 5
- Women in higher education 5
- Educational institutions 4
- Health Administration 4
- Journalism 4
- Nashville (Tenn.)--History 4
- Pharmacology/Toxicology 4
- Vanderbilt History 4
- African Americans--Civil rights 3
- Civil rights--United States 3
- Diaries 3
- Education, Medical -- Tennessee 3
- Epidemiology/Public Health 3
- Family papers 3
- Library science 3
- Pathology 3
- Professional Associations 3
- Southern States--In literature 3
- Vanderbilt University 3
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine 3
- Women’s rights 3
- Activists 2
- Agrarians (Group of writers) 2
- Art 2
- Cardiology 2
- Endocrinology 2
- Fugitives (Group) 2
- Literature, Medieval 2
- Meharry Medical College 2
- Military Medicine 2
- Nashville University Women's Council 2
- Nursing 2
- Obstetrics/Gynecology 2
- Poetry 2
- Political activists 2
- Psychology 2
- Scrapbooks 2
- Southern States--Culture 2
- Southern States--History 2
- Southern States--Social life and customs 2
- Tennessee--Politics and government 2
- University of Nashville 2
- World War, 1914-1918 2
- African Americans in Medicine 1
- Alchemy 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Political and social views 1
- Authors, American -- Southern States -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Botany 1
- Branham & Hughes Military Academy (Spring Hill, Tenn.) 1
- Branham & Hughes School for Boys (Spring Hill, Tenn.) 1
- Business 1
- Cardiology -- history 1
- Cardiovascular Diseases 1
- Chemistry 1
- Classes (Groups of students) 1
- Classical studies (Vanderbilt University) 1
- College presidents 1
- Communicable Diseases 1
- Confederate States of America 1
- Cookery 1
- Diabetes Mellitus 1
- Economics 1
- Education, Medical 1
- Educational law and legislation--Tennessee 1
- Elections 1
- Elections--Southern States 1
- Elections--United States 1
- Fabric arts 1
- George Peabody College for Teachers--Alumni 1
- George Peabody College for Teachers--History 1
- Governors -- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century 1
- Governors' spouses 1
- Governors--United States--Election 1
- Heart Catheterization/history 1
- Histoplasmosis 1
- Homosexuality 1
- Linguistics 1
- Microbiology 1
- Music 1
- Mycology 1
- Nephrology 1
- Newspapers 1
- Nutrition 1
- Oral history 1
- Orthopedics 1
- Peabody Education Fund 1
- Pediatrics 1
- Pediatrics -- history 1 + ∧ less
- English 104
- Russian 1
- Alexander, Lamar, 1940- 1
- Baehr, George 1
- Bailey, Archibald Charles 1
- Bass, Allan D. 1
- Bate, Humphrey H. 1
- Billings, F. Tremaine (Frederic Tremaine) 1
- Cheney, Brainard 1
- Cheney, Frances Neel 1
- Christie, Amos 1
- Christman, Luther P. 1
- Felts, Philip W. 1
- Fishbein, Morris 1
- Flexner, Abraham 1
- Flexner, Jacob A. 1
- Flexner, Jean Atherton 1
- Flexner, Jennie Maas 1
- Flexner, John Morris 1
- Flexner, Marion Kahn Weil 1
- Flexner, Morris 1
- Flexner, Simon 1
- Freer, Arden 1
- Hunt, John Scott 1
- Kampmeier, Rudolph H. Kampmeier RH 1
- Leroy, Louis 1
- Liddle, Grant W. Liddle GW 1
- Lindsley, John Berrien 1
- Lytle, Andrew Nelson 1
- Moore, Adam 1
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson 1
- Page, Harry L., Jr. (Harry Lee) (1934-2022) 1
- Park, Edwards A. (Edwards Albert) 1
- Rivers, Thomas M. (Thomas Milton) 1
- Spencer, Frank C Spencer FC 1
- Spickard, Anderson 1
- Strode, George K. 1
- Weaver, Richard Malcolm 1
- Youmans, John B. (John Barlow) 1
- Youmans, John B. Youmans JB 1 + ∧ less
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.