Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 23
This .21 linear feet collection contains four reel-to-reel tapes, a transcript of the tapes, transcript from a diary kept by Roy Crowdy Avery during World War I, newspaper clippings, and a manuscript titled, “The Background on the Discovery of Histoplasmosis”.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt professor and surgeon Barney Brooks. Materials include: correspondence, photographs,scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, speeches, manuscripts, reprints, and teaching clinics.
Personal papers of Lucius Burch, Vanderbilt alum, Dean of the Medical School and chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. This collection consists primarily of Burch's diaries covering the period 1921-1959, also includes some family correspondence, newspaper clippings, and photographs.
Papers and materials beloging to Dr. John E. Chapman documenting his service as as Dean of Vanderbilt Medical School from 1975-2001.
Personal papers of Amos Christie, pediatrician, child health advocate, professor, and administrator at Vanderbilt University Medical School. Dr. Christie is best known for his research in histoplasmosis, known as the "Vanderbilt disease." Materials include: correspondence; biographical material; manuscripts and speeches; reprints; and personal and professional subject files.
Papers beloging to Dr. Sam Lilliard Clark documenting his research, teaching and administrative activities. Dr. Clark served on the faculty in the Department of Anatomy at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine from his appointment in 1930 until his death in 1960.
This photographic collection is a group of portraits of guest lecturers in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery.
Class notes taken by Thomas Elmor Dilworth who was a student and 1925 graduate of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Additional material is releated to his residency training at Hillman Hospital in Birmigham, Alabama, and early medical practice in Corona, Alabama.
Collection conatins records pertaining to and created by Dr. James Elias Dodson who graduated from Vanderbilt Medical College in 1875 and practiced medicine in Tennessea and Oklahoma from the mid 19th century to early 20th century. Records include diplomas, certificates, familial and personal letters, biographical information, and family trees.
Personal papers, publications, and related materials belonging to Dr. Beverly Douglas well-known plastic surgeon and member of both the faculty and later the clinical faculty of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Materials doucment both his reserch interests and activities as a plastic surgeon and member of the faculty, as well as his interest in developing inventions.
Personal papers of Philip Wyatt Felts, endocrinologist, teacher, and administrator. Materials include: correspondence, certificates, monthly calendars, reprints, and group photographs of Vanderbilt medical students 1975-80's.
This is a collection of transcripts of interviews conducted by Dr. Friesinger in preparation for book exploring the connectons between Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Vanderbilt Univesity School of Medicine. Additionlly, there is a first draft manuscript of the first two chapters of the work.
Collection of medical school class notes of Dr. Byron E. Green, Jr.(VMS Class of 1954) prepared during his time as as a student from 1950 to 1954.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt professor (1969-1983) and chair of the department of Psychiatry, Marc H. Hollender, best known for his research in sexual behavior and psychosomatic disorders. Materials include: military publications Hollender collected during service in World War II; an extensive correspondence file, biographical material, and a bibliography relating to Dr. Denslow Lewis.
Personal papers of psychiatrist and Vanderbilt professor Frank Luton (1898-1979). Materials include: correspondence, biographical material, manuscripts, lectures, notes, grant applications, reprints, clippings, programs, brochures, photographs, and subject files on alcoholism and professional organizations. Correspondents include: Merrill Moore, Smiley Blanton, William F. Roth, and Marc H. Hollender.
Personal papers of nutritionist, anatomist, and biochemist Karl Mason (1900-1978), who was a professor of anatomy at Vanderbilt from 1926-1940. Materials include: correspondence, reprints, and photographs. Correspondents include: Glenn Cullen, Alfred Blalock, Sam Clark, Robert S. Cunningham, W.S. Leathers, Canby Robinson, Rudolph Kampmeier, and Lafayette B. Mendel.
The collection consists of portraits of the visiting professors who presented series of lectures at Vanderbilt School of Medicine in honor of Dr. Morgan.
- Subject: Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine X
- Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection 21
- Vanderbilt University Special Collections 1
- VUMC Historical Images and Biographies 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine 13
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine -- history 5
- Surgery 4
- Epidemiology/Public Health 3
- Medical Education 3
- Surgery -- history 3
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 3
- Education, Medical -- Tennessee 2
- Histoplasmosis 2
- Nutrition 2
- Obstetrics/Gynecology 2
- Pediatrics 2
- Psychiatry 2
- VUMC History 2
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine -- Faculty -- Biography -- Sources 2
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine -- History -- Sources 2
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Dept. of Pediatrics 2
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Dept. of Psychiatry 2
- African Americans in Medicine 1
- Anatomy 1
- Anatomy -- history 1
- Biochemistry 1
- Cookery 1
- Diabetes Mellitus 1
- Dietetics -- history 1
- Education, Medical 1
- Endocrinology 1
- Health Administration 1
- History of Medicine 1
- History of Medicine, 20th Cent., United States, Tennessee, Rural Health 1
- Librarians 1
- Libraries, Medical 1
- Library and Information Technology 1
- Mason, Karl E. 1
- Medical Informatics 1
- Medicine 1
- Meharry Medical College 1
- Military Medicine 1
- Muscular Dystrophies 1
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Hospital 1
- Orthopedics 1
- Pediatrics -- history 1
- Pharmacology/Toxicology 1
- Physicians -- Tennessee -- Nashville -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Psychoanalysis 1
- Reticuloendotheliosis 1
- United States. Public Health Service. Office of the Surgeon General 1
- University of Nashville 1
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni Association 1
- Vanderbilt University. Dept. of Medicine 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Library 1
- Vitamins 1
- Women in Medicine 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Biography -- Sources 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives 1 ∧ less
- Clark, Sam Lillard 2
- Hollender, Marc H. (Marc Hale) 2
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson 2
- Baehr, George 1
- Blalock, Alfred 1
- Blanton, Smiley 1
- Brooks, Barney 1
- Burch, Lucius E. 1
- Burwell, C. Sidney (Charles Sidney) 1
- Chapman, John E. 1
- Chick, Harriette, Dame 1
- Christie, Amos 1
- Copping, Alice Mary 1
- Cullen, Glenn Ernest 1
- Cunningham, Eileen R. (Eileen Roach) 1
- Cunningham, R. S. (Robert Sydney) 1
- Darrach, Marjorie J. 1
- Doe, Janet 1
- Felts, Philip W. 1
- Fishbein, Morris 1
- Freer, Arden 1
- Green, Bryant 1
- Hunt, John Scott 1
- Kampmeier, Rudolph H. (Rudolph Herman) 1
- Leathers, Waller S. (Waller Smith) 1
- Luton, Frank Harper 1
- Marshall, Mary Louise 1
- Mason, Karl Ernest 1
- McCay, Clive Maine 1
- McCollum, Elmer Verner 1
- Mendel , Lafayette B. (Lafayette Benedict) 1
- Moore, Merrill (Austin Merrill Moore) 1
- Noyes, Marcia Crocker 1
- Oates, John A. 1
- Park, Edwards A. (Edwards Albert) 1
- Riley, Harris D. 1
- Rivers, Thomas M. (Thomas Milton) 1
- Robinson, George Canby 1
- Roth, WIlliam F. 1
- Strode, George K. 1
- Todhunter, E. Neige (Elizabeth Neige) 1
- Troxel, Wilma 1 ∧ less
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.