Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 347
One folder of correspondence between Dr. Daniel Abbey's son (Stanton T. Abbey) and Rudolph Kampmeier regarding the donation to the Medical School of Dr. Abbey's University of Nashville diploma (Dr. of Medicine) granted in 1855 and signed by the Medical faculty. A copy of the diploma along with a translation are included in the folder.
Many photographs, newspaper clippings, faculty information form, CV, news releases from Vanderbilt University Office of Public Information, reprints of articles on surgery authored by Dr. Adkins.
This collection contains the papers of former Governor of Tennessee, Secretary of Education, and U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander. Currently, only the material predating Alexander's tenure as Senator (pre-2002) is processed for research use. Please contact Special Collections with access inquiries related to Senate materials.
File contains a typescript of Dr. Alford's presidential Address entitled "A Brief History of the H. William Scott, Jr. Society, 1972-1994: Twenty-Three Years and Counting" delivered April 16, 1994. Also contains a reprint of Vol.81, no. 5 May 1988 Southern Medical Journal article entitled "Great Men Among Us" in which Dr. Alford recounts the history of the Nashville Surgical Society.
This collection has two series. Series I contains correspondence written to Ward Allen from his family and friends during his college years. The correspondence is in the form of letters, postal cards, and greeting cards. Series II relates to Dr. James H. Joyner of Sumner County, Tennessee. It contains information on property ownership (tax receipts, insurance policies, mortgage), stock dividend receipts, and lists of medical debts owed to Dr. Joyner for his services.
Newspaper clipping, correspondence relating to Dr. Allison's appointment to Vanderbilt University staff, CV, convocation program.
This collection contains materials relating to the Alpha Omicron Pi’s Nu Omicron chapter at Vanderbilt University. There are programs, newspaper clippings, and other memorabilia arranged by decade from the 1920s through the 1950s. Also included are photographs from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s.
Obituary newspaper clippings for Dr. Alsobrook.
File contains a photo of William A. Altemier III from when he was a member of the faculty at Vanderbilt, CV, and a 1999 editorial memoir from Pediatric Annals regarding Mildred Stahlman and Sara Sell.
Obituary Notice of Dr. James E. Anderson, Jr.
6 newspaper clippings.
Personal papers of Dr. Theodore Austin, including letters, memorabilia, and photographs. The collection also includes biographical information about Dr. Austin.
Photographs and biographical materials of Dr. Austin used for an exhibition about his life and career.
Two obituary clippings.
Three photograph clippings with captions.
Biographical file on Dr. Bailey, correspondence from Curtis M. Graves 1995-1997.
Biographical file on Dr. Barnhill, including reprints, newspaper clippings, obituaries, correspondence, and other biographical material.
Two photographs of Dr. Richard A. Barr, dated 1894. Biography from Vanderbilt University Alumni Directory published in 1923.
Biographical file on Dr. Bass, including reprints, newspaper clippings, obituaries, transcripts, press releases, photographs, and other biographical material.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt alum and Professor Allan D. Bass, who was chair of the Department of Pharmacology for two decades. This collection includes correspondence, Department of Pharmacology related materials, personal memorabilia, and photographs.
- Subject: Vanderbilt University--Alumni X
- VUMC Historical Images and Biographies 267
- Vanderbilt University Special Collections 61
- Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection 19
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 343
- Vanderbilt University. Medical Center (VUMC) -- History 174
- Surgery 53
- Pediatrics 29
- Tennessee History 27
- Pathology 26
- Vanderbilt History 21
- Literature 18
- Medical Education 17
- Medicine 17
- Obstetrics/Gynecology 17
- Professional Associations 17
- Vanderbilt University--Faculty 16
- Women in Medicine 16
- Fugitives (Group) 14
- Epidemiology/Public Health 12
- Agrarians (Group of writers) 10
- Vanderbilt University--History 10
- Anatomy 9
- Biochemistry 9
- Cardiology 9
- Cellular/Molecular Biology 8
- Infectious Diseases 8
- Meharry Medical College 8
- Oncology 8
- Scrapbooks 8
- Family papers 7
- Health Administration 7
- Orthopedics 7
- Pharmacology/Toxicology 7
- Correspondence 6
- Nursing 6
- Religion 6
- Southern States--Culture 6
- Southern States--History 6
- Nashville (Tenn.)--History 5
- Neurology 5
- Physiology 5
- Preventive Medicine 5
- Radiology 5
- Vanderbilt University--Board of Trust 5
- Anesthesiology 4
- Dermatology 4
- Education 4
- Journalism 4
- Military Medicine 4
- Ophthalmology 4
- Poetry 4
- World War, 1939-1945 4
- African Americans--Civil rights 3
- Civil rights--United States 3
- Endocrinology 3
- Hematology 3
- Oral history 3
- Southern States--In literature 3
- Sports 3
- Tennessee--History 3
- United States--Politics and government 3
- Urology 3
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine 3
- Biology 2
- Business 2
- Chemistry 2
- Dentistry 2
- Diaries 2
- Education, Medical -- Tennessee 2
- Fraternities (associations) 2
- Otolaryngology 2
- Pathology -- history 2
- Performing arts 2
- Surgery -- history 2
- Television 2
- Tennessee--Politics and government 2
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni Association 2
- Vanderbilt University--Campus 2
- Women's Health 2
- sororities 2
- Activists 1
- American Red Cross 1
- Anatomy -- history 1
- Art 1
- Art History 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Political and social views 1
- Authors, American -- Southern States -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Autographs 1
- Cardiology -- history 1
- Carson-Newman College -- Alumni and alumnae -- Biography 1
- Child Health Services -- United States 1
- Clubs 1
- College presidents 1
- Colombia 1
- Communicable Diseases -- in infancy 1
- Congresses and conventions 1
- Educational law and legislation--Tennessee 1
- Elections 1
- Elections--Southern States 1
- Elections--United States 1
- Electroencephalography -- history 1
- Ethics 1
- Fascia 1 + ∧ less
- Austin, Theodore Roe 2
- Bailey, Archibald Charles 2
- Bass, Allan D. 2
- West, Olin 2
- Abbey, Daniel 1
- Abbey, Stanton T. 1
- Adkins, R. Benton, Jr. 1
- Alexander, Lamar, 1940- 1
- Altemeier, III, William A. 1
- Baehr, George 1
- Barnhill, Robert Y. 1
- Barr, Richard A. 1
- Bate, Humphrey H. 1
- Batson, Oscar Randolph 1
- Bryan, Worcester Allen 1
- Burch, Lucius E. 1
- Chenoweth, Alice D. 1
- Demonbreun, William Andrew 1
- Fishbein, Morris 1
- Foshee, J. Clinton (John Clinton) 1
- Freer, Arden 1
- Goodpasture, Ernest William 1
- Grisham, Joe W. 1
- Hunt, John Scott 1
- Kampmeier, Rudolph H. (Rudolph Herman), 1898- 1
- Lytle, Andrew Nelson 1
- Moore, Merrill (Austin Merrill Moore) 1
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson 1
- Morgan, Walter McNairy 1
- Oliver, James Matthew 1
- Page, Harry L., Jr. (Harry Lee) (1934-2022) 1
- Park, Edwards A. (Edwards Albert) 1
- Patwardhan, Vinayak Narayan 1
- Pearson, William Noorman 1
- Ransom, John Crowe 1
- Riley, Harris D. 1
- Rivers, Thomas M. (Thomas Milton) 1
- Sell, Sarah H. 1
- Shapiro, John Lawton 1
- Sharpiro, John L. Shapiro JL 1
- Spencer, Frank C Spencer FC 1
- Spickard, Anderson 1
- Stevenson, Alec Brock 1
- Stewart, Randall 1
- Stoney WS 1
- Strode, George K. 1
- Sullivan, Walter 1
- Ward, James W. (James Wilson) 1
- Weaver, Richard Malcolm 1
- Witt, W. H. (William Henry) 1
- Young, Thomas Daniel 1 + ∧ less
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.