Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Photographs, scrapbooks, unpublished reports, awards, and reunion material relating to the 300th General Hospital Unit, Vanderbilt's Medical Unit in World War II that served in Italy and North Africa. The collection also includes personal items such as scrapbooks from a few members of the unit. In addition, a few items found in the collection, primarily souvenirs, have no direct relation to the unit, but have some connection to Vanderbilt.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt alum and Professor Allan D. Bass, who was chair of the Department of Pharmacology for two decades. This collection includes correspondence, Department of Pharmacology related materials, personal memorabilia, and photographs.
Personal papers of long-time Vanderbilt Department of Medicine faculty member Frederic Tremaine "Josh" Billings. Materials include: correspondence; reports and dissertation; tapes; committee and administrative work; and material relating to the Center for Health Services; Student Health Coalition; the Vanderbilt medical library; and geriatrics.
Personal papers of Luther P. Christman, nurse, sociologist, educator, and Dean of Vanderbilt Nursing School from 1967-1972. Materials include photographs, correspondence, and other papers.
Personal papers of surgeon and Vanderbilt professor William D. Haggard, Jr. Materials include: correspondence; biographical material; Senate testimony; clippings; photographs; brochures and pamphlets; reprints; manuscripts; speeches; case studies; awards and certificates; and scrapbooks. Correspondents include: Max Thorek, W. W. Keen, Charles H. Mayo. Dr. Haggard was president of the American Medical Association and the Southern Surgical Association.
The collection consists of portraits of the visiting professors who presented series of lectures at Vanderbilt School of Medicine in honor of Dr. Morgan.
Professional papers in electronic format of W. Anderson Spickard Jr., MD, physician and medical educator of Nashville, TN. Also print copyies of his journal publications, and books are contained in the colletion.
Correspondence, memorabilia, photographs, scrapbooks, scientific prizes and awards, newspaper clippings, and other publications of Dr. Earl Sutherland, 1971 Nobel Laureate in Medicine or Physiology. Most of the material dates from after Dr. Sutherland won the Nobel Prize, and much of it was organized by family members.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt alum and epidemiologist Olin West, a primary figure in the development of the Tennessee State Department of Public Health. The collection contains manuscripts on public health and one photograph.
Papers of David Wiegand, staff member of the 300th General Hospital (the "Vanderbilt Unit"), stationed in Naples, Italy during WWII. Colelction includes three pencil drawings of 300th officers, a "Pomes and Poems" booklet, a Christmas 1942 Camp Forrest booklet, a soldier's guide to Naples, a European Victory Day celebration pamphlet, and a postcard depicting the hospital. 8 items in all.
- Medical Education 5
- Epidemiology/Public Health 4
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 4
- Surgery 3
- Biochemistry 2
- Nursing 2
- Pathology 2
- Pharmacology/Toxicology 2
- Tennessee History 2
- Vanderbilt History 2
- Anesthesiology 1
- Anesthesiology -- history 1
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (U.S.) 1
- Cardiology 1
- Cardiology -- history 1
- Cardiovascular Diseases 1
- Communicable Diseases 1
- Goodpasture, Ernest William, 1886-1960 1
- Health Administration 1
- Heart Catheterization/history 1
- History of Medicine, 20th Cent., United States, Tennessee, Rural Health 1
- Infectious Diseases 1
- Librarians 1
- Libraries, Medical 1
- Library and Information Technology 1
- Medical Informatics 1
- Meharry Medical College 1
- Obstetrics/Gynecology 1
- Pathology -- history 1
- Pediatrics 1
- Physiology 1
- Public Health -- history -- Tennessee 1
- Schistosomiasis 1
- Student Health Coalition 1
- Surgery -- history 1
- Tennessee. Dept. of Health and Environment -- history 1
- Vanderbilt University. Center for Health Services 1
- Vanderbilt University. Dept. of Medicine 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine -- history 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Library 1
- Women in Medicine 1 + ∧ less
- Bass, Allan D. 1
- Billings, F. Tremaine (Frederic Tremaine) 1
- Brooks, Barney 1
- Burwell, C. Sidney (Charles Sidney) 1
- Christman, Luther P. 1
- Collins, Robert D., M.D. 1
- Cunningham, Eileen R. (Eileen Roach) 1
- Darby, William J. (WIlliam Jefferson) 1
- Darrach, Marjorie J. 1
- Doe, Janet 1
- Gillespie, Mary Ross 1
- Goodpasture, Ernest William 1
- Gregg, Alan 1
- Gwathmey, James Tayloe 1
- Haggard, WIlliam D. (William David) 1
- Haid, B. 1
- Hektoen, Ludvig 1
- Jackson, Dennis E. (Dennis Emerson) 1
- Keen, William W. (William Williams) 1
- Lamson, Paul Dudley 1
- Leathers, Waller S. (Waller Smith) 1
- Lindsley, John Berrien 1
- Long, Crawford Williamson 1
- Longcope, Warfield T. (Warfield Theobald) 1
- Marshall, Mary Louise 1
- Mayo, Charles H. (Charles Horace) 1
- Mellanby, Edward, Sir 1
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson 1
- Noyes, Marcia Crocker 1
- Page, Harry L., Jr. (Harry Lee) (1934-2022) 1
- Pittinger, Charles B. 1
- Robbins, Benjamin Howard 1
- Robinson, George Canby 1
- Scott, H. William (Henry William) 1
- Spickard, Anderson 1
- Thorek, Max 1
- Troxel, Wilma 1
- West, Olin 1
- Whipple, George Hoyt 1
- Wiegand, David A. 1 + ∧ less
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.