Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 114
This collection contains the papers of Honey Alexander, wife of Senator Lamar Alexander of Tennessee. The finished portion of this collection documents her time serving as First Lady of Tennessee from 1979-1987. Access to this collection is restricted.
This collection contains the papers of former Governor of Tennessee, Secretary of Education, and U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander. Currently, only the material predating Alexander's tenure as Senator (pre-2002) is processed for research use. Processing of the Senatorial Papers is expected to be completed in Fall 2023. Please contact Special Collections with access inquiries related to Senate materials.
Obituary Notice of Dr. James E. Anderson, Jr.
This a 6 page carbon copy of the typescript ‘Origin and History of Bristol-Goodson’ dated 1866 written by Joe R. Anderson, the founder of Bristol, Tennessee.
Two obituary clippings.
Biographical file on Dr. Bate, including newspaper clippings, certificates, receipts, correspondence, class tickets and notes from the University of Nashville.
This .42 linear feet collection contains 51 items (of which 20 are photographs) relating to the lives of the Baxter and Jackson families, Nashville, and Vanderbilt University.
This collection is comprised of documents related to the history of Texas and Tennessee from 1817-1865. It comprises four parts: documents of the Republic of Texas, 1837-1845; the early documents of Tennessee, 1817-1862; Senate and House broadsides from 1835-1848; Scrapbooks relative to the American Civil War, 1860-1865.
This collection contains 13 rare 19th Century imprints relating to the State of Tennessee.
The collection consists of Nellie Burns' diaries which contain business transactions, social interactions, and her daily activities.
File includes several newspaper clippings and Vanderbilt Directory biographical data.
File contains an article and correspondence relating to the Caldwell collection of medical instruments and artifacts.
Biographical file includes newspaper clippings, a copy of the Tennessee Hospital Association 50th Anniversary Oral History Collection (which includes Cannon), correspondence, an obituary from VUMC Reporter, and miscellaneous anecdotes.
This collection contains 21 letters, mostly written by James C. Chowning to his mother and sisters, during the Civil War and afterwards. They describe his training with the Tennessee Volunteers in the Confederate Army, and military operations of those troops.
Biographical file includes articles, several obituaries, many newspaper clippings, numerous photographs, negatives, correspondence, poetry, notes, and other biographical and family information. Correspondence from Vanderbilt Alum. Dr. Robert Gotcher regarding being a student of Dr. Clark's.
This .21 linear feet collection contains 6 items related to the history of Foster & Creighton Company, the story of the Parthenon, and other construction projects in Nashville. There are two photographs: one of the Parthenon, and the other of the Athena Sculpture in the Parthenon.
Biographical file contains an article and an obituary.
Biographical file includes an obituary.
- Subject: Tennessee--History X
- Vanderbilt University Special Collections 59
- VUMC Historical Images and Biographies 50
- Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection 5
- Tennessee History 58
- Tennessee--History 53
- VUMC History 33
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 31
- Nashville (Tenn.)--History 27
- Southern States--History 16
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 14
- Vanderbilt History 12
- Southern States--Culture 11
- Surgery 9
- Medical Education 7
- Military Medicine 7
- United States--Politics and government 7
- family papers 7
- Epidemiology/Public Health 6
- Journalism 6
- Medicine 6
- Obstetrics/Gynecology 6
- History of Medicine 5
- Native American 5
- Professional Associations 5
- Business 4
- Education 4
- Health Administration 4
- Scrapbooks 4
- Tennessee--Politics and government 4
- Vanderbilt University--History 4
- Civil war 3
- Correspondence 3
- Diaries 3
- Engineering 3
- Internal Medicine 3
- Meharry Medical College 3
- Nursing 3
- Pediatrics 3
- Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) 3
- Tennessee--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 3
- United States--History 3
- antebellum 3
- organizations (groups) 3
- African Americans--Civil rights 2
- Anatomy 2
- Archaeology 2
- Cardiology 2
- Civil rights--United States 2
- Fugitives (Group) 2
- Geology 2
- George Peabody College for Teachers 2
- Governors' spouses 2
- Law 2
- Literature 2
- Music 2
- Pathology 2
- Physiology 2
- Presidents--United States 2
- Public Health -- history -- Tennessee 2
- Science 2
- Slavery 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence 2
- Southern States--Politics and government--1951- 2
- Tennessee--Genealogy 2
- Vanderbilt University--Board of Trust 2
- Vanderbilt University--Faculty 2
- Women in Medicine 2
- World War, 1939-1945 2
- Activists 1
- Agrarians (Group of writers) 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Political and social views 1
- Authors, American -- Southern States -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Biochemistry 1
- Branham & Hughes Military Academy (Spring Hill, Tenn.) 1
- Branham & Hughes School for Boys (Spring Hill, Tenn.) 1
- Bristol (Tenn.) -- History 1
- Bristol (Va.) -- History 1
- Chamber of Commerce (Nashville, Tenn.) 1
- Chemistry 1
- College presidents 1
- College presidents' spouses 1
- Economics 1
- Educational law and legislation--Tennessee 1
- Elections 1
- Elections--Southern States 1
- Elections--United States 1
- Goodson (Va.) -- History 1
- Governors -- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century 1
- Governors--United States--Election 1
- History of Medicine, 20th Cent., United States, Tennessee, Rural Health 1
- History, Ancient 1
- Horses--Pedigrees 1
- Maps 1
- Newspaper publishing 1
- Newspapers 1
- Oncology 1
- Orthopedics 1
- Otolaryngology 1
- Pamphlets 1
- Performing arts 1
- Political activists 1
- Political campaigns--Law and legislation 1
- Political campaigns--United States--Case studies 1 ∧ less
- West, Olin 2
- Bailey, Archibald Charles 1
- Bate, Humphrey H. 1
- Davidson, Donald 1
- Kampmeier, Rudolph H. Kampmeier RH 1
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.