Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 61
This collection consists of typescripts and records about spiritual philosophy. The typescripts are of Brown Landone (1847-1945) and include “What to Do In These Years” and “The 19 Means of Perfected Action” Parts 1 & 2, and “Ramie: Confidential Report” Parts 1-4.
The Perry H. Biddle, Jr. Collection contains eighteen book and pamphlet publications as well as a copy of a dissertation submitted to Union Theological Seminary in support of his Th.M. degree in 1960. Publication dates for the material range from 1960 to 2002. Topics covered by the publications include funeral management and counseling, health and healing, marriage ceremony management and counseling, hospital visitation manuals, preaching guides and lectionaries, and suicide counseling.
This collection contains 1 obituary, in booklet form. Henry Beach Carre was a Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament Literature at Vanderbilt University. He died on January 30, 1928.
The James L. Clark Papers are composed of 1.25 linear feet of sermon typescripts, manuscripts, and writing tablets.
This collection contains correspondence from Mary Helen Clark to her family from 1928-1946 when she lived in Brazil. It also contains correspondence from Blanche Henry Clark to her family during her visit to Brazil in 1932 to visit her sister. The letters are arranged chronologically, and give detailed accounts of Mary Helen’s days in Brazil. The letters provide first-hand accounts of Latin-American foods, behaviors, language and customs of the people and the politics of the times.
This collection contains 2 typescript documents, in 2 file folders. The letters describe E. H. Clayton’s missionary work in China, the sufferings of the Chinese people, and the Chinese-Japanese War.
The Papers of James Harold Flye (1884-1985) date from 1904 to 1983, with the bulk of the collections dating from the 1950s to the 1970s. The collection includes Flye’s correspondence with over two hundred individuals (primarily letters received), journals kept in scattered years during the 1920s and 1930s and almost daily journals kept from 1957 to 1981, Flye’s own writings, and information regarding James Agee.
This collection contains the papers of William K. Grobel, theological scholar and former faculty member of the School of Religion at Vanderbilt. This collection is composed of correspondence, class and lecture notes, articles, sermons, research notes, prayers, and reviews written by Grobel. It also contains committee notes, legal papers, news and magazine clippings, photographs, church bulltins, and pamphlets relating to or involving Grobel.
- Subject: Religion X
- Vanderbilt University--Faculty 11
- Vanderbilt University. Divinity School 10
- Civil rights--United States 8
- Sermons 8
- Political activists 7
- Activists 6
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 6
- African Americans--Civil rights 5
- family papers 5
- Diaries 3
- Postcards 3
- Scrapbooks 3
- Civil rights 2
- First Baptist Church, Capitol Hill (Nashville, Tenn.) 2
- Latin America 2
- Literature 2
- Social movements 2
- African American preaching 1
- African Americans 1
- African Americans--Civil rights--Southern States 1
- Archaeology 1
- Art 1
- Art History 1
- Bible. Old Testament 1
- Business 1
- Cole Lectures (Vanderbilt University) 1
- Ethiopian Manuscript Microfilm Library 1
- George Peabody College for Teachers--Alumni 1
- History, Ancient 1
- Illuminated manuscripts of the Middle Ages 1
- Israel 1
- Jewish authors--Germany 1
- Judaism--Doctrines 1
- Knights and Daughters of Tabor 1
- Missions--China 1
- Nashville (Tenn.)--History 1
- Nashville Christian Leadership Council 1
- National Conference of Black Churchmen 1
- North Carolina--Robeson County. 1
- Pastoral counseling 1
- Poetry 1
- Preaching 1
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Board of National Missions 1
- Restorative justice 1
- Sino-Japanese War, 1894-1895 1
- Society for the Study of Black Religion 1
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference 1
- Southern States--Culture 1
- Southern States--History 1
- Southern States--Religion 1
- Southern States--Religious life and customs 1
- Student Christian Association (Vanderbilt University) 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States--Politics and government 1
- University of Florida--Presidents 1
- Vanderbilt University--Board of Trust 1
- Vanderbilt University--History 1
- Vanderbilt family 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1 ∧ less
- German 1
- Hebrew 1
- Yiddish 1
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.