Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 42
Photographs, scrapbooks, unpublished reports, awards, and reunion material relating to the 300th General Hospital Unit, Vanderbilt's Medical Unit in World War II that served in Italy and North Africa. The collection also includes personal items such as scrapbooks from a few members of the unit. In addition, a few items found in the collection, primarily souvenirs, have no direct relation to the unit, but have some connection to Vanderbilt.
Personal papers of Dr. Theodore Austin, including letters, memorabilia, and photographs. The collection also includes biographical information about Dr. Austin.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt alum and Professor Allan D. Bass, who was chair of the Department of Pharmacology for two decades. This collection includes correspondence, Department of Pharmacology related materials, personal memorabilia, and photographs.
Research material and first draft of an unpublished manuscript on the history of scurvy. Adelia Beeuwkes was a dietitian, teacher, and author of books on dietetics and the history of nutrition. She was a professor at the University of Michigan from 1940-1966.
Personal papers of long-time Vanderbilt Department of Medicine faculty member Frederic Tremaine "Josh" Billings. Materials include: correspondence; reports and dissertation; tapes; committee and administrative work; and material relating to the Center for Health Services; Student Health Coalition; the Vanderbilt medical library; and geriatrics.
Collection consists of a student class notebook prepared by Samuel P. Black while a medical student at the Medical Department of the Univesity of Nashville during the 1856-1857 session. The notebook of 121 pages contains notes from lectures delivered by the faculty in November of 1856. The notes of faculty members include: Dr. Paul F. Eve, John Berrien Lindsley, Dr.Thomas R. Jennings, Dr. John M. Watson, Dr. William K. Bowling, Dr. A. H. Buchanan, and Dr. C. K. Winston.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt professor and surgeon Barney Brooks. Materials include: correspondence, photographs,scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, speeches, manuscripts, reprints, and teaching clinics.
Personal papers of editor, dietitian, and nutrition advisor Mary de Garmo Bryan. She served as an Army dietitian in France during WWI and was a pioneer in the development of the school lunch program in the United States. Materials include: manuscripts, reprints, correspondence, pamphlets, and notes. Two copies of Dr. Bryan's dissertation are contained in the collection.
Collection of personal recollections of Alice Huffman Bugel about her service in the 8th Evacuation Hospital during World War II Collection includes personal artifacts and memorabilia including her nurse’s uniform and accoutrements worn during her time of service in North Africa and Italy, as well as photographs, and certificates.
Personal papers of Lucius Burch, Vanderbilt alum, Dean of the Medical School and chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. This collection consists primarily of Burch's diaries covering the period 1921-1959, also includes some family correspondence, newspaper clippings, and photographs.
Papers and materials beloging to Dr. John E. Chapman documenting his service as as Dean of Vanderbilt Medical School from 1975-2001.
Personal papers of Amos Christie, pediatrician, child health advocate, professor, and administrator at Vanderbilt University Medical School. Dr. Christie is best known for his research in histoplasmosis, known as the "Vanderbilt disease." Materials include: correspondence; biographical material; manuscripts and speeches; reprints; and personal and professional subject files.
Personal papers of Luther P. Christman, nurse, sociologist, educator, and Dean of Vanderbilt Nursing School from 1967-1972. Materials include photographs, correspondence, and other papers.
Papers beloging to Dr. Sam Lilliard Clark documenting his research, teaching and administrative activities. Dr. Clark served on the faculty in the Department of Anatomy at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine from his appointment in 1930 until his death in 1960.
This photographic collection is a group of portraits of guest lecturers in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery.
Class notes taken by Thomas Elmor Dilworth who was a student and 1925 graduate of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Additional material is releated to his residency training at Hillman Hospital in Birmigham, Alabama, and early medical practice in Corona, Alabama.
Collection conatins records pertaining to and created by Dr. James Elias Dodson who graduated from Vanderbilt Medical College in 1875 and practiced medicine in Tennessea and Oklahoma from the mid 19th century to early 20th century. Records include diplomas, certificates, familial and personal letters, biographical information, and family trees.
Personal papers, publications, and related materials belonging to Dr. Beverly Douglas well-known plastic surgeon and member of both the faculty and later the clinical faculty of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Materials doucment both his reserch interests and activities as a plastic surgeon and member of the faculty, as well as his interest in developing inventions.
Personal papers of Philip Wyatt Felts, endocrinologist, teacher, and administrator. Materials include: correspondence, certificates, monthly calendars, reprints, and group photographs of Vanderbilt medical students 1975-80's.
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine 12
- Military Medicine 11
- VUMC History 9
- History of Medicine 8
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 8
- Medical Education 7
- Nutrition 7
- Epidemiology/Public Health 6
- Surgery 6
- Surgery -- history 5
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine -- history 5
- Dietetics -- history 3
- Nursing 3
- Women in Medicine 3
- Anatomy 2
- Cookery 2
- Endocrinology 2
- Health Administration 2
- History of Medicine, 20th Cent., United States, Tennessee, Rural Health 2
- Meharry Medical College 2
- Obstetrics/Gynecology 2
- Pediatrics 2
- Pharmacology/Toxicology 2
- Psychiatry 2
- Tennessee History 2
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine -- History -- Sources 2
- Vanderbilt University. Dept. of Medicine 2
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Dept. of Pediatrics 2
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Dept. of Psychiatry 2
- African Americans in Medicine 1
- Anatomy -- history 1
- Arteriosclerosis 1
- Biochemistry 1
- Cardiology 1
- Cardiology/history 1
- Cardiovascular Diseases 1
- Communicable Diseases 1
- Cushing Syndrome 1
- Diabetes Mellitus 1
- Education, Medical 1
- Education, Medical -- Tennessee 1
- Fascia 1
- Georgia. Dept. of Human Resources 1
- Hearing Disorders -- genetics -- history 1
- Heart Catheterization/history 1
- Histoplasmosis 1
- Infectious Diseases 1
- Internal Medicine 1
- Librarians 1
- Libraries, Medical 1
- Library and Information Technology 1
- Mason, Karl E. 1
- Medical Informatics 1
- Medicine 1
- Muscular Dystrophies 1
- Nutrition -- history 1
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Hospital 1
- Orthopedics 1
- Pediatrics -- history 1
- Physical Examination 1
- Preventive Medicine 1
- Psychoanalysis 1
- Public Health -- history -- Tennessee 1
- Reticuloendotheliosis 1
- Schistosomiasis 1
- Scurvy 1
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases 1
- Social Work -- history 1
- Student Health Coalition 1
- Syphilis 1
- Tennessee. Dept. of Health and Environment -- history 1
- United States. Army. Evacuation Hospital, 8th 1
- United States. Public Health Service. Office of the Surgeon General 1
- University of Nashville 1
- Urology 1
- Urology -- history 1
- Vanderbilt History 1
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine -- Faculty -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni Association 1
- Vanderbilt University. Center for Health Services 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Library 1
- Vitamins 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ less
- Clark, Sam Lillard 2
- Hollender, Marc H. (Marc Hale) 2
- Kampmeier, Rudolph H. (Rudolph Herman) 2
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson 2
- Riley, Harris D. 2
- Youmans, John B. (John Barlow) 2
- Austin, Theodore Roe 1
- Baehr, George 1
- Bass, Allan D. 1
- Beeuwkes, Adelia M. (Adelia Marie) 1
- Billings, F. Tremaine (Frederic Tremaine) 1
- Blalock, Alfred 1
- Blanton, Smiley 1
- Branscomb, Harvie 1
- Brooks, Barney 1
- Bryan, Mary de Garmo 1
- Bugel, Alice 1
- Burch, Lucius E. 1
- Burwell, C. Sidney (Charles Sidney) 1
- Chapman, John E. 1
- Chick, Harriette, Dame 1
- Christie, Amos 1
- Christman, Luther P. 1
- Copping, Alice Mary 1
- Cullen, Glenn Ernest 1
- Cunningham, Eileen R. (Eileen Roach) 1
- Cunningham, R. S. (Robert Sydney) 1
- Darby, William J. (WIlliam Jefferson) 1
- Darrach, Marjorie J. 1
- Doe, Janet 1
- Felts, Philip W. 1
- Fishbein, Morris 1
- Foshee, J. Clinton (John Clinton) 1
- Freer, Arden 1
- Frye, William W. (William Wesley) 1
- Goodloe, Mary Helen 1
- Green, Bryant 1
- Hunt, John Scott 1
- Key, Marcus Chesley 1
- Leathers, Waller S. (Waller Smith) 1
- Liddle, Grant 1
- Luton, Frank Harper 1
- Marshall, Mary Louise 1
- Mason, Karl Ernest 1
- McCay, Clive Maine 1
- McCollum, Elmer Verner 1
- Mendel , Lafayette B. (Lafayette Benedict) 1
- Moore, Merrill (Austin Merrill Moore) 1
- Noyes, Marcia Crocker 1
- Oates, John A. 1
- Page, Harry L., Jr. (Harry Lee) (1934-2022) 1
- Park, Edwards A. (Edwards Albert) 1
- Rivers, Thomas M. (Thomas Milton) 1
- Robinson, George Canby 1
- Roth, WIlliam F. 1
- Shelley, Harry S. 1
- Strode, George K. 1
- Sweeney, Anne Jeanne 1
- Todhunter, E. Neige (Elizabeth Neige) 1
- Troxel, Wilma 1
- West, Olin 1
- Whipple, Allen Oldfather 1
- Wiegand, David A. 1
- Witt, W. H. (William Henry) 1 ∧ less
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.