Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 437
Photographs, scrapbooks, unpublished reports, awards, and reunion material relating to the 300th General Hospital Unit, Vanderbilt's Medical Unit in World War II that served in Italy and North Africa. The collection also includes personal items such as scrapbooks from a few members of the unit. In addition, a few items found in the collection, primarily souvenirs, have no direct relation to the unit, but have some connection to Vanderbilt.
Many photographs, newspaper clippings, faculty information form, CV, news releases from Vanderbilt University Office of Public Information, reprints of articles on surgery authored by Dr. Adkins.
File contains a typescript of Dr. Alford's presidential Address entitled "A Brief History of the H. William Scott, Jr. Society, 1972-1994: Twenty-Three Years and Counting" delivered April 16, 1994. Also contains a reprint of Vol.81, no. 5 May 1988 Southern Medical Journal article entitled "Great Men Among Us" in which Dr. Alford recounts the history of the Nashville Surgical Society.
Obituary newspaper clippings for Dr. Alsobrook.
This file includes several newspaper clippings about Dr. Archer's time at Vanderbilt, especially focusing on her position as Dean of the Vanderbilt School of Nursing.
File contains article from the VUMC Reporter on the nerve reseach growth factor and the photograph of Dr. Arildsen used in the article
One photographic negative.
Two photographs, one negative, and his obituary.
Biographical file contains a photograph.
Personal papers of Vanderbilt alum and Professor Allan D. Bass, who was chair of the Department of Pharmacology for two decades. This collection includes correspondence, Department of Pharmacology related materials, personal memorabilia, and photographs.
Unpublished paper entitled "The Development of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Vanderbilt Medical School 1925-1985," dated November 1986.
Biographical file includes a curriculum vitae from 1999. This file also includes many photographs of Dr. Bender and other prominent surgeons. Included are reprints and several newspaper clippings about Dr. Bender, and a program from a Symposium Weekend held in his honor at Vanderbilt in September 1996.
Biographical file includes curriculum vitae, correspondence, and one newspaper article.
One newspaper article, biographical information.
Three photographs with corresponding negatives.
This file includes an original photograph and an article from the Virginia Medical Monthly.
This file includes several obituaries of Dr. Billig and his wife, photographs, reprints, a biographical article used with an exhibit of his photos held at Vanderbilt's Medical Library in 1985, a review of his book "Flying Saucers: Magic in the Skies", several newspaper clippings, a collection of photos of drawings created by psychotic patients in New Guinea, used in Dr. Billig's book entitled: " Psychotic Art in New Guinea a Cross-Cultural Study."
Biographical data, reprints, newspaper clippings, articles and photographs, CV, obituaries, copy of Dr. Billing's thesis written at Oxford University in 1936.
Personal papers of long-time Vanderbilt Department of Medicine faculty member Frederic Tremaine "Josh" Billings. Materials include: correspondence; reports and dissertation; tapes; committee and administrative work; and material relating to the Center for Health Services; Student Health Coalition; the Vanderbilt medical library; and geriatrics.
- VUMC Historical Images and Biographies 419
- Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection 18
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 174
- Surgery 65
- Tennessee History 33
- Vanderbilt History 32
- Women in Medicine 32
- Pediatrics 31
- Pathology 28
- Biochemistry 27
- Nursing 26
- Professional Associations 26
- Medical Education 25
- Obstetrics/Gynecology 25
- Medicine 20
- Pharmacology/Toxicology 18
- Health Administration 17
- Physiology 16
- Cardiology 15
- Epidemiology/Public Health 15
- Oncology 15
- Anatomy 14
- Cellular/Molecular Biology 12
- Meharry Medical College 12
- Infectious Diseases 11
- Orthopedics 11
- Preventive Medicine 11
- Ophthalmology 8
- Anesthesiology 7
- Library and Information Technology 7
- Neurology 7
- Endocrinology 6
- Radiology 6
- Urology 6
- Chemistry 5
- Dermatology 5
- Molecular/Cellular Biology 5
- Science 5
- Biology 4
- Genetics/Developmental Biology 4
- African Americans in Medicine 3
- Hematology 3
- Nephrology 3
- Otolaryngology 3
- Psychology 3
- Dentistry 2
- Ethics 2
- Geriatrics 2
- Pulmonology 2
- Tuberculosis 2
- Women's Health 2
- Anesthesiology -- history 1
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (U.S.) 1
- Cardiology -- history 1
- Cardiovascular Diseases 1
- Communicable Diseases 1
- Emergency Medicine 1
- Gastroenterology 1
- Goodpasture, Ernest William, 1886-1960 1
- HIV/AIDS 1
- Heart Catheterization/history 1
- History of Medicine, 20th Cent., United States, Tennessee, Rural Health 1
- Immunology/Allergy 1
- Influenza 1
- Librarians 1
- Libraries, Medical 1
- Medical Informatics 1
- Nutrition 1
- Pathology -- history 1
- Public Health -- history -- Tennessee 1
- Rheumatology 1
- Schistosomiasis 1
- Student Health Coalition 1
- Surgery -- history 1
- Tennessee. Dept. of Health and Environment -- history 1
- Vanderbilt University. Center for Health Services 1
- Vanderbilt University. Dept. of Medicine 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine -- history 1
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Library 1 + ∧ less
- West, Olin 2
- Adkins, R. Benton, Jr. 1
- Bass, Allan D. 1
- Billings, F. Tremaine (Frederic Tremaine) 1
- Brooks, Barney 1
- Burwell, C. Sidney (Charles Sidney) 1
- Christman, Luther P. 1
- Collins, Robert D., M.D. 1
- Cunningham, Eileen R. (Eileen Roach) 1
- Darby, William J. (WIlliam Jefferson) 1
- Darrach, Marjorie J. 1
- Doe, Janet 1
- Friesinger, Gottlieb C. II 1
- Gillespie, Mary Ross 1
- Goodpasture, Ernest William 1
- Gregg, Alan 1
- Gwathmey, James Tayloe 1
- Haggard, WIlliam D. (William David) 1
- Haid, B. 1
- Hektoen, Ludvig 1
- Jackson, Dennis E. (Dennis Emerson) 1
- Kampmeier, Rudolph H. Kampmeier RH 1
- Keen, William W. (William Williams) 1
- Lamson, Paul Dudley 1
- Leathers, Waller S. (Waller Smith) 1
- Leroy, Louis 1
- Liddle, Grant W. Liddle GW 1
- Limbird, Lee, Ph.D 1
- Lindsley, John Berrien 1
- Long, Crawford Williamson 1
- Longcope, Warfield T. (Warfield Theobald) 1
- Marshall, Mary Louise 1
- Mayo, Charles H. (Charles Horace) 1
- Mellanby, Edward, Sir 1
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson 1
- Noyes, Marcia Crocker 1
- Page, Harry L., Jr. (Harry Lee) (1934-2022) 1
- Pittinger, Charles B. 1
- Robbins, Benjamin Howard 1
- Robinson, George Canby 1
- Scott, H. William (Henry William) 1
- Sharpiro, John L. Shapiro JL 1
- Soupart,Pierre Soupart P 1
- Spickard, Anderson 1
- Stoney WS 1
- Thorek, Max 1
- Troxel, Wilma 1
- Whipple, George Hoyt 1
- Wiegand, David A. 1
- Youmans, John B. Youmans JB 1 + ∧ less
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.