Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
This collection contains a bound volume of poems, sonnets, and songs collected from the writings of many famous poetic figures, and handwritten onto the pages of this journal. Written in two separate hands, this journal appears to have been exchanged among two friends who alternately scribed favorite poems.
This collection contains 15 items. The letters are addressed primarily to John Kimmel from friends, during the Civil War. One letter is addressed to Lucy Ingham, who became his wife. There is one unidentified daguerreotype photograph included in the collection, and one poem by John Kimmel.
This collection contains mostly original poetry by Margaret Moore dating from the 1930s to 1990s.
This three-box collection contains materials relating to the life of Merrill Moore. Merrill Moore (1903-1957) was a native Tennessean, neurological physician, veteran, and poet. The collection is primarily comprised of his poetry, manuscripts, and letters (both incoming and outgoing) about and by Merrill Moore. It also includes photographs, programs, newspaper clippings, biographical materials, tape recordings, and miscellaneous documents all pertaining to Merrill Moore’s life.
The collection contains 49 items: 45 letters, two poems, one biographical sketch, and one newspaper clipping. These items have been placed in 27 acid-free file folders, and will be stored in one Hollinger box totaling .165 linear feet.
The majority of the correspondence includes a typed biographical notation about the writer, and his relationship to him/her. It includes a biographical sketch written by Donald Davidson as well as two of his unpublished poems.
This small collection (.21linear feet) includes personal correspondence between Allen Tate and Mark Van Doren and his wife Mrs. Dorothy Van Doren and other correspondence that concerns Mark Van Doren. There are also poems by Tate, Christmas cards, photographs, and various other items that relate to their friendship over many years. Other correspondence can be found in Mark Van Doren’s papers at Columbia University.
This small collection (.21 linear feet) includes personal correspondence between Allen Tate and family members Benjamin E. Tate, Sr., Benjamin E. Tate, Jr. (Chuck), and Louise Fleishman Tate. There are also letters to J. Edgar Simmons and others, and incoming letters from Mark Van Doren, William S. Knickerbocker, and others making a total of 39 letters. The collection also includes the Chronology and Resume of Allen Tate, typescripts of two poems and several articles by Tate.
This collection contains a letter dated November 23, 1984 from Robert Penn Warren to E. Lowell Robbins about a manuscript by Robbins.
This collection contains literary correspondence, poems, and manuscripts of poet and businessman Jesse Ely Wills.
This collection contains around 20 items by or about Fugitive poet Ridley Wills, dating from 1919 to 1957.
This collection contains one handwritten diary of devotions, hymns, and poems belonging to Eliza P. Wilson. It is dated from May 11, 1827 to February 22, 1836.
- Literature 13
- Poetry 13
- Fugitives (Group) 10
- Agrarians (Group of writers) 5
- Correspondence 4
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni 4
- American poetry--Southern States 2
- Diaries 2
- Education 2
- Poetry--1960-1970 2
- American literature--20th century--History and criticism 1
- American literature--Southern States--History and criticism 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Authors, American -- Southern States -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Compact discs 1
- Davidson, Donald, 1893-1968 --Interviews 1
- Elliott, William Yandell, 1896-1979 --Interviews 1
- Family papers 1
- French literature 1
- George Peabody College for Teachers--Alumni 1
- Hirsch, Sidney M. (Sidney Mttron) --Interviews 1
- Homosexuality 1
- Moore, Merrill, 1903-1957 --Interviews 1
- Nashville (Tenn.)--History 1
- Poetry--1860-1870 1
- Ransom, John Crowe, 1888-1974 Interviews 1
- Religion 1
- Southern States--In literature 1
- Starr, Alfred --Interviews 1
- Stevenson, Alec Brock --Interviews 1
- Tate, Allen, 1899-1979 Interviews 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Vanderbilt University--Board of Trust 1
- Warren, Robert Penn, 1905-1989 Interviews 1
- Wills, Jesse --Interviews 1 + ∧ less
- French 1
- Italian 1
- Moore, Merrill (Austin Merrill Moore) 1
- Tate, Allen (John Orley Allen Tate) 1
- Weaver, Richard Malcolm 1
- Wills, Jesse Ely 1
About this Site
This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.
Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.