Scope and Contents
The scope of this collection is to archive documents, correspondences, newspaper clippings, student and alumnus documentation, scrapbooks, graduation certificates, ephemera, and a vast collection of identified and unidentified photographs of individuals, groups, and buildings collected from its inception in 1892 to 1924 and was renamed Scarritt College for Christian Workers.
Majority of material found within 1893 - 1924
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 24 hours is needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact: The Virginia Davis Laskey Library, Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville, TN.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact: The Virginia Davis Laskey Library, Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville, TN.
Biographical / Historical
Scarritt Bible and Training School opened in 1892 in Kansas City, MO. as a Methodist training school for women to become missionaries and deaconesses. Belle Harris Bennett, a Southern Methodist woman missionary presented the idea to create a training school for missionaries in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The idea was agreed upon at the Southern Methodist Woman's Board of Foreign Missions annual conference in 1889. Board members Nathan and Martha (nee Chick) Scarritt were the first to offer pledges, financial support, and land for the new training school. The first building's cornerstone was laid in Kansas City on July 2, 1891. In 1924, it moved to Nashville, TN, and was renamed the Scarritt College For Christian Workers.
12 Linear Feet (12 Full-size Hollinger Boxes)
Language of Materials