Scope and Contents
The scope of this collection is to preserve course catalogs, course descriptions, bulletins, and promotional material for workshops, seminars, and summer semester classes. It contains bound and unbound original catalogs, and a cornucopia of pamphlets, brochures, and other promotional materals.
Majority of material found within 1895 - 1986
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 24 hours is needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact: The Virginia Davis Laskey Library, Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville, TN.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact: The Virginia Davis Laskey Library, Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville, TN.
Biographical / Historical
Scarritt College opened in 1892 in Kansas City, MO., as a Methodist training school for women to become missionaries and deaconesses. Initially, it was called the Scarritt Bible and Training School. In 1924, it moved to Nashville, TN, and was renamed the Scarritt College for Christian Workers. It became a became a Graduate School in 1981.
The institution started publishing course catalogs in 1895. Course catalogs were initially called yearbooks. Later publications were called The Trained Layworker, Catalogues, Bulletins, Annual Catalogue and Announcements.
10 Linear Feet (5 full- and 5 half- size Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials