Harry L. Page, Jr. Papers
Collection Scope and Content Summary
This collection documents related to Dr. Page's establishment and development of the Cardiac catheterization laboratory at St. Thomas Hospital in Nashville from its inception in 1966 to 1977 and provides insight into how laboratories like these were established throughout the United States at the time, how the procedure advanced the level of cardiac care, as well as the challenges that arose from the steadily increasing demand to perform the procedure.
- 1966 - 2012
Notes about Access to this Collection
All collections are subject to applicable Vanderbilt University privacy and confidentiality policies. Collection specific restrictions: No Restrictions.
Copyright is retained by History of Medicine Collections, Eskind Biomedical Library, Vanderbilt University or is retained by the authors of specific published items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Historical or Biographical Note
Dr. Harry Lee Page, Jr. member and namesake of the Page-Campbell Heart Institute at Vanderbilt received both his undergraduate and medical degrees from Vanderbilt University, receiving the latter from the School of Medicine in 1959. He served his internship and residency at Vanderbilt from 1959-1960 and 1960-1962, respectively. Page conducted a fellowship in cardiology at the University of Colorado with the U.S. Public Health Service and completing his training in 1966. Shortly thereafter, he returned to Nashville to oversee the development of a cardiac catheterization lab at St. Thomas Hospital which soon became one of the busiest cardiac services in the United States. He also established a private practice which was incorporated in 1974 as the Cardiology Consultants P.C. This practice thrived and was later renamed the Page-Campbell Cardiology Group in honor of its founding members Dr. Page, and Dr. Warren Barton Campbell. A clinical professor of medicine, Page has served on the clinical faculty since 1968, and has provided training for post-doctorial cardiology fellows in a unique setting that allows for academic clinical research in a private practice patient care environment. This relationship, where private practice physicians and academicians can exchange knowledge and enhance the level of care, was formalized in 1996 with the establishment of the Page-Campbell Heart Institute. He died in Nashville on August 1, 2022 after an extended illness. He was 88.
0.74 Cubic Feet (2 Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is largely a grouping selected correspondence and reports compiled by Dr. Page to assist in the preparation of his autobiographical memoir One Heart at a Time: Thanks for the Memories published in 2007. The collection primarily documents the establishment and development of a Cardiac catheterization lab at St. Thomas Hospital in Nashville from its inception in 1966 to 1977. The collection also contains a copy of the memoir, as well as later correspondence that records his association with Vanderbilt from his appointment to the clinical staff in 1966 through the establishment of the Page-Campbell Heart Institute in 1996. Selected correspondence recording his association with professional colleagues from around the world is included as well.
Materials acqured from Dr. Harry L. Page August 2012.
Materials processed shortly after acquisition in August 2012.
- Finding Aid for the Harry L. Page, Jr. Papers
- History of Medicine Collections Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
Part of the Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection Repository
Eskind Biomedical Library
2209 Garland Ave.
Nashville TN 37232