Hugh Jackson Morgan Papers
Collection Scope and Content Summary
- 1921 - 1961
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson (Person)
Notes about Access to this Collection
Historical or Biographical Note
Born and raised in Nashville, Hugh Jackson Morgan graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1914. He entered Vanderbilt Medical School in 1914. After two years, he transferred to Johns Hopkins where he graduated in 1918.
As a fourth year medical student Hugh Morgan served with the Hopkins unit in France during World War I. After the war, Dr. Morgan taught at Hopkins and at the Rockefeller Institute.
In 1924, he returned to Vanderbilt as an Associate Professor of Medicine and later became Professor, Chairman, & Physician-in-Chief of the Department of Medicine at Vanderbilt from 1928-1958. During World War II, Dr. Morgan was Chief Medical Consultant to the Surgeon General of the U.S. Army. In this position he planned and directed medical officer personnel throughout the war. He also served on the Meharry Medical College board of Trustees from 1946-1956. He was president of the American College of Physicians from 1947-1948. Also he received an honorary Doctor of Science degree from the University of Southern California in 1953.
For more information and pictures please see the VUMC Online Biography of Dr. Morgan.
7.83 Cubic Feet (12 Hollinger boxes, 1 Half Hollinger Box, 2 Paige Boxes, 1 oversize flat storage box 1(17"x21"x3"))
Language of Materials
- Baehr, George
- Education, Medical -- Tennessee
- Epidemiology/Public Health
- Fishbein, Morris
- Freer, Arden
- Hunt, John Scott
- Medical Education
- Meharry Medical College
- Military Medicine
- Morgan, Hugh Jackson
- Park, Edwards A. (Edwards Albert)
- Rivers, Thomas M. (Thomas Milton)
- Strode, George K.
- United States. Public Health Service. Office of the Surgeon General
- Vanderbilt University--Alumni
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine
- Hugh Jackson Morgan Papers
- In Progress
- History of Medicine Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
Part of the Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection Repository
Eskind Biomedical Library
2209 Garland Ave.
Nashville TN 37232