Scope and Contents
Collection of materials documenting the life of Dr. James Elias Dodson who graduated from Vanderbilt Medical College in 1875 and practiced medicine in Tennessea and Oklahoma from the mid 19th century to early 20th century. Records include diplomas, certificates, familial and personal letters, biographical information, and family trees.
Majority of material found within 1865-2018
Conditions Governing Access
All collections are subject to applicable Vanderbilt University privacy and confidentiality policies. Collection specific restrictions: No Restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by History of Medicine Collections, Eskind Biomedical Library, Vanderbilt University or is retained by the authors of specific published items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
James Elias Dodson was born in Council’s Bend, Hickman County, Tennessee on May 12, 1847, the son of Elias Dodson and Frances Roland Lee. He received his medical degree from the Medical Department of Vanderbilt University in 1875 making him among the first graduates of Vanderbilt University. Following graduation, Dr. Dodson practiced medicine in Linden and later Bakerville, Tennessee. It was there he developed blood poisoning on his index finger and nearly gave up his medical career. In 1885, Dr. Dodson, his wife, and six children moved to Pawhuska, Indian Territory, Oklahoma where he had been appointed as the physician and surgeon for Osage Indian Agency. Sadly, his wife Fanny died there on July 1, 1886. Dr. Dodson continued to serve the Indian Territory until 1889 when he moved to Vernon, Texas where he practiced medicine and was very active in serving his community. He later practiced with his son Dr. J. E. Dodson, Jr. Dr. Dodson died June 25, 1923. The materials contained in this collection were compiled and donated by the grandchildren of Dr. Dodson’s eldest daughter Fannie, who married Thorton G. Lomax.
.19 Cubic Feet (One Half Hollinger Box, metal mailing tube.) ; 15.25" x 2.5" x 10.25"
Language of Materials