American Society for Nutrition Archive
Collection Scope and Content Summary
- 1928 - 2005
Notes about Access to this Collection
Historical or Biographical Note
Named the American Institute of Nutrition, the society's original purpose was to publish a journal containing research reports in the newly emerging field of nutrition and its first members comprised the editorial board for this journal. As the result of requests from prospective additional members, however, the society was opened to other researchers in 1933 and held its first scientific meeting at the Cornell Medical School in 1934. In 1941 it officially affiliated with the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.
The society, renamed the American Society for Nutritional Sciences in 1996, is the world's oldest and foremost nutritional science society and its journal, The Journal of Nutrition, is the leader in its category of scientific publications. Nutrition science has, itself, become diversified and the society now encompasses the several specialties that have developed within the science.
In 2005, the ASNS merged with the American Society for Clinical Nutrition (ASCN) and the Society of International Nutrition Research (SINR) to form the American Society for Nutrition
21.79 Cubic Feet (36 Hollinger boxes, 4 half Hollinger boxes and 6 Paige boxes)
Language of Materials
- American Society for Nutrition Archive
- Partially Processed
- History of Medicine Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Eskind Biomedical Library Manuscripts Collection Repository
Eskind Biomedical Library
2209 Garland Ave.
Nashville TN 37232